FAQWe've Got Answers
What is Lakshmi Rising?
Lakshmi Rising Yoga & Wellness is a portal for optimal health, empowerment, and personal growth. We emphasize yoga; study; farm-to-table, plant-based cuisine; travel; and integrative medicine as pillars of a healthy, balanced, and enjoyable lifestyle. Our approach is eco-friendly, socially conscious, sustainable, and green, so that we make the world a better, brighter place through our actions and consumer choices. We also deeply believe in having fun!
Lakshmi Rising was created by Dr. Liz Lindh and includes diverse partners and collaborators from across traditions and around the world. Currently based at The Sanctuary at Two Rivers on Costa Rica’s magical Nicoya Peninsula, Lakshmi Rising offers transformative Yoga Teacher Trainings and luxurious yoga retreats in Costa Rica and across the globe. We embrace the healing power of food through Gaia Gourmet’s high-vibration, nutrient-dense vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free gourmet cuisine. Lakshmi Rising brings together multidisciplinary wellness expertise—all so that our global community can educate, empower, and evolve.
COVID-19 Protocols & Requirements
At Lakshmi Rising Yoga & Wellness, we take the global COVID-19 pandemic seriously, and sincerely wish all of you safe passage through this storm.
We have implemented new policies to keep our students, faculty, and host staff safe. By purchasing a Lakshmi Rising training or experience, you agree to abide by these measures, as well as any new or modified precautions Lakshmi Rising and/or local authorities may need to implement in the future.
Given that the situation is in constant flux, we deeply appreciate your flexibility and understanding. We strive to be a beacon of hope, while prioritizing the wellness–physical and mental–of our community. We recommend checking out the latest Entry Requirements for traveling to Costa Rica.
- During YTT courses in Costa Rica, we practice social distancing by mapping our yoga mat distance so that everyone is 6 feet away from one another and during lectures we sit 6 feet away from each other. This being said, Covid has proven across the globe as very hard to mitigate so we encourage our students to think about their situation as joining a group that will be living and eating together as a family unit or bubble for the course of their time here. Accordingly, students should take every possible precaution to ensure that they arrive on-site healthy and having had the minimum possible risk of exposure.
- For our YTT courses in Italy, France and Spain, all students will be required to submit to us their “Green Pass” with proof of vaccination or a doctor’s or National Health System certification that you have recently recovered from Covid from within 11 days to 6 months prior to the start date of your training. This will ensure a fairly secure “family” bubble during the 2 or 3 week training at our exclusive-use villa or chateau. If you test positive for Covid-19 before the training you will be able to transfer your enrollment to a future training within 18 months of your original start date.
- We ask that all visitors to Costa Rica, Italy, France, and Spain follow COVID-19 best practices during their travels to our location. These include:
- Practice social distancing and other precautions according to the WHO and the regulations of your country, state, and/or city before traveling to your retreat or training.
- Maintain a balanced diet, stay well hydrated, exercise regularly, and sleep well in the time leading up to your travels.
- Do not embark on your travels if you feel ill or are running a fever.
- Wear a cloth face covering throughout your international and domestic travel to the property.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water is unavailable.
- Disinfect surfaces in public areas such as airports, buses, and taxis before touching them.
- If you are considered at a high risk, either by age or a pre-existing condition, you should not register for a training until a reliable vaccine is available to you.
- We will have extremely limited contact with outsiders and strongly encourage our students not to leave our beautiful properties during the training–we have plenty to keep you busy here! If you do leave the grounds, you must follow all local regulations, including any social distancing guidelines.
- Students are required to bring their own yoga mat, yoga towel, 2 blocks and one 6 foot strap with a buckle. Students should not touch or share each others’ mats or props.
- Students and faculty are required to wash and then sanitize their hands after touching one another–for example, after hands-on adjustments, before and each yoga class, before and after each meal period and coffee/tea break and after using the restroom. Students may request to not give or receive hands-on adjustments.
- Mats will be spaced as far apart as possible during yoga practice.
- Shared spaces (including door handles, toilet buttons/levers, sink handles, arm chairs, meal placemats, cutlery, and your accommodations will be thoroughly cleaned with disinfectant on a regular basis.
- If you cannot attend your selected Lakshmi Rising Yoga Teacher training for any reason, your deposit is safe and secure and can be transferred to another date or location within 18 months of your original training start date.
We understand that these are trying and uncertain times. We are here to wholeheartedly support your growth and transformation on a deep and personal level, and do not want to jeopardize your search for being a force for positive change within yourself, your family, and your community. We look forward to seeing you soon.
What style of yoga is taught in Lakshmi Rising's Yoga Teacher Training?
Lakshmi Rising’s YTT encompasses our mission of education, empowerment, and evolution; draws from many traditions; and emphasizes more than the physical practice of yoga.
Our asana practice is Hatha Vinyasa based: Vinyasa meaning the fluid integration of breath and movement, Hatha meaning the balance between fiery Sun and watery Moon energies. Within this well-rounded Hatha Vinyasa Flow training, you will gain an understanding of proper alignment, core-based strength exercises, working with special populations, and how to create a restorative or energizing flow class.
We explore yogic philosophy from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and the Hatha Yoga Pradipika; Ayurveda; classical Tantra; and teachings from ancient and modern traditions.
Why choose a Yoga Teacher Training immersion with Lakshmi Rising?
Lakshmi Rising’s Yoga Teacher Training certification program gives you one, two, or three weeks to focus on yoga—practicing, reading, studying, asking questions, and discussing a wide range of interesting topics with curious, like-minded people from around the world—without the inevitable distractions of life at home. A Yoga Teacher Training program is an empowering, life-enriching experience even if you have no intention of teaching. It is a time for you to enjoy life while learning about yoga, cultivating yourself, and making new friends.
Participating in a 200- or 300-hour YTT at one of our exotic locales also offers the rare opportunity to personally experience Mother Nature and all of her bounty as your teacher, while living in comfort and style. We offer deluxe accommodations in several locations: Join us at The Sanctuary at Two Rivers in Costa Rica’s famed Blue Zone, where you’ll rave about Gaia Gourmet’s vegan, gluten-free chocolate torte from your tropical, modern Zen Jungle Loft; travel with Liz and Chef Naga to a magical villa in Tuscany, Italy; or follow your vinyasa with vin rouge in a breathtaking chateau amidst the Pyrenees mountains and vineyards of the Ariege region in the South of France. We take good care of you!
What qualifications or prerequisites do I need for Lakshmi Rising’s Yoga Teacher Training certification program?
The most important thing you will need is an open, willing, and curious mind!
A 200-hour yoga instructor certification is a foundational program that covers the fundamentals of teaching yoga. To participate, you need neither an advanced physical practice, nor experience with meditation, anatomy, or philosophy. We cover all of that in the training! Of course, the more experience you have as a student of yoga, the more you will have to offer as a teacher. Our YTT is a great place to begin, or to refine your skills and deepen your understanding.
Participation in our 300-hour YTT requires completion of a 200-hour YTT—either through Lakshmi Rising or another school—or equivalent experience in yoga.
Remember that the study of yoga is a lifelong journey. We are here to guide and support you wherever you may be on your path.
How many students are in each Yoga Teacher Training certification program?
In Costa Rica we accommodate up to 12 students, in France up to 22 students, who may be a mix of 200- and 300-hour YTTs and retreat participants. This is ideal to form a wonderfully intimate group, as well as receive quality, hands-on attention from your instructors.
What is the typical age and gender of your participants? Where are they from?
Our Yoga Teacher Training programs attract people from all around the world. They generally range in age from 20 to 65. Most participants identify as women, but all are welcome. Instruction and readings are in English.
Are required books and other materials included in the tuition cost? Will they be available on-site?
No. You are responsible for purchasing your required books and supplies (pens, notebooks, etc.) before arrival and bringing them with you to our magical oasis. Books and supplies are not available nearby. As part of the tuition, you will receive a hard copy of our extensive Yoga Teacher Training manual, a required course text.
What is included in the tuition cost?
Yoga Teacher Training tuition includes over 240 contact classroom hours on our 21 day 200hr YTT and over 270 contact hours on our Advanced 300hr YTT; Lakshmi Rising’s extensive training manual; luxurious, double-occupancy lodging; regular housekeeping, weekly laundry service or self-serve laundry (depending on location); three organic gourmet vegetarian or vegan meals each program day; unlimited shade-grown organic coffee, an assortment of teas, and fruit for snacking; super-filtered spring water for drinking and bathing; concierge services; and all applicable taxes. Each location has unique additional amenities and experiences, but there are no hidden costs. Lakshmi Rising trainings are priced to be affordable without sacrificing quality. Keep in mind that during your time with us, you will not be incurring your usual expenses for food, coffee, entertainment, and transportation!
You will need to pay for all transportation to and from our locations, required textbooks and supplies, off-site meals and excursions, Yoga Alliance membership fees, staff gratuities, and any spa services you wish to enjoy.
Are your Yoga Teacher Training Programs approved by the Yoga Alliance?
Yes! You will be eligible to submit your paperwork to the Yoga Alliance to be approved as a registered yoga teacher (RYT) at the 200- or 500-hour level.
What is the Yoga Alliance?
The Yoga Alliance is an international credentialing organization, established in 1999, that sets standards for yoga teachers and teacher trainings. While not required by law, many studios and potential employers look for teachers with Yoga Alliance certification.
Will I be qualified to teach once I complete your Yoga Teacher Training ?
Yes! In the 200-hour program we focus on how to teach as much as on mastering the material. The 300-hour program deepens this engagement and is ideal for current teachers who seek additional professional development.
Do you offer financial aid or work-exchange programs?
Unfortunately, not at this time. We do offer early-bird discounts, and encourage you to register early—flights will also be less expensive.
Will there be free time for excursions during the training?
Our daily YTT schedule is full and rich with yoga, lectures, hands-on learning, meditation, creative projects, reading, writing, discussions, and more—this is why we call it a training intensive rather than a yoga retreat. That said, we will have one day each week for relaxation on the property or a jungle waterfall excursion. We recommend staying after your YTT if you would like to enjoy tourist activities or visit friends.
What if I miss some class time, can I still complete the Yoga Teacher Training?
Lakshmi Rising’s YTTs exceed the required contact hours set forth by the Yoga Alliance as a residential immersion program, so minor mishaps are not likely to cause problems. You will, however, be required to submit writing assignments (500 words per hour missed) to demonstrate your understanding of any topics that you miss. Additional private instruction may be available, at a fee, through our Wellness Network, if you fall significantly behind or want additional support.
What is your refund policy?
Retreat and Training Refund Policy: We understand that these are trying and uncertain times. We are wholeheartedly here to support your growth and transformation on a deep and personal level and do not want to jeopardize your search for being a force for positive change within yourself, your family, and your community.
For this reason, during the COVID-19 situation we are relaxing our cancellation policy. If you are unable to attend your retreat or yoga teacher training program, you can transfer your deposit or payment to a future retreat or training in any of our locations (depending on availability) within 18 months of your original training start date. We hope you will join us to cultivate optimal health and wellness. Namaste.
Note: Should Lakshmi Rising feel the need to change retreat venues in order to protect the interest of the training, students, and/or faculty, they may do so without notice.
The Impossibility of Performance – Force Majeure
I agree that Lakshmi Rising and its agents, will not be liable in the event of Acts of God; such as, but not limited to: fires; volcanoes; adverse weather conditions such as earthquakes, tidal waves, and floods; strikes or blockades; government orders; global pandemics; airport closures; flight cancelations; or other circumstances beyond our control.
Shop Refund Policy: Lakshmi Rising is not responsible for any refunds or returns on sales made by our Shop partners. Please contact the partner directly.
Please note that our Yoga Teacher Trainings are PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT INTENSIVES designed to teach you how to teach the practices of yoga. You will spend a lot of time in meditation, in movement, in silence, in lecture, in nature, with others in community, and with the eight limbs of yoga through an inclusive and classical tantrik lens. You will be invited to use these tools as support through any emotional and mental discomfort that may surface as you explore internal landscapes. It may be challenging at times. We have witnessed and guided hundreds of students through this beautiful process. The system works. Inspiring results come from the energy one invests.
This is a professional training and NOT a personal therapy intensive or detoxification program (from recreational or pharmaceutical drugs). While we are committed to introducing authentic yoga and self-study techniques, this program should not be taken as a personal therapeutic intensive if you are expecting or in need of professional psychological or medical support.
Our faculty and staff are not trained psychiatrists and do not carry clinical backgrounds in PTSD, addiction, sexual abuse counseling, or other mental health concerns. If you have a history of PTSD or extreme drug use, it is important that you arrive to our program in a stable state with the intention of using the practices of yoga for self -regulation and personal spiritual growth. If you are seeking more personalized therapeutic support, we advise you to make that therapy your priority before attending an intensive yoga teacher training immersion.
BY PLACING ANY DEPOSIT OR PAYMENT, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THESE TERMS & POLICIES